Sunday, February 28, 2010

Reflection: This Journey...

This journey through our exploration of learning theory has provided me with a wealth of insight and understanding regarding how people learn. Including myself! Behavioral and Cognitive theories have provided a foundation that gives structure, definition and language to articulate what, previously, were only intuitive glimpses into “what works”. However, some of the most meaningful ideas have been the more contemporary concepts that focus on the impact of technology on how people learn. As a result of our studies, I now understand that Connectivism best encompasses the breadth and depth of my learning process. Until I had taken the opportunity to map out my learning network, I didn’t realize how expansive the influences of my learning experience were. Nor did I realize how much technology AND relationships played a part. Another theorist who expanded my understanding is the work of Marc Prensky (see http://www.marcprensky.com ) and his contribution to the discussion on the impact of technologies on learning. He coined the phrases “digital immigrants” (which I am) and “digital natives” (the target audience of the training I support). His work provides insights and guidance to teach this new generation of learner (Millennials/Gen Y and Gen X students).

This journey has taught me that there is a world of thought, theory, data and ideas that speak to the many and varied styles of learning and what motivates learners. What I walk away with now is the notion that there is no one way to successfully meet learners needs. There is no single path to effective teaching or learning. Each theory and approach has evolved from earlier models and – based on agreement or challenge – one has built on another. There is truth and meaning in each evolutionary step. Today, as we move from the industrial age deeper into a technological/information age, we are in the midst of a revolutionary change in the way that we learn and, therefore, the way we must teach. This new territory is both exciting and challenging. My mind has been expanded and I have glimpses into how I, as an instructional designer, can create a meaningful learning experience for my students. More than anything I have a new appreciation for the NEED to do so. I trust that the depth and breadth of my understanding will continue to grow and drive my pursuit of better ways to meet the needs of today’s learners.

References:

Foley, G. (Ed.). (2004). Dimensions of adult learning: Adult education and training in a global era. McGraw-Hill Education.

Prensky, Marc. (2009). Timeline of the History of Learning. Found at: http://mym.cdn.laureate-media.com/Walden/EDUC/6115/01/mm/tec_timeline.html

Prensky, Marc. (2001). Digital Natives, Digital Immigrants – Part 1. Found at: http://www.marcprensky.com/writing/Prensky%20-%20Digital%20Natives,%20Digital%20Immigrants%20-%20Part1.pdf

Prensky, Marc. (2001). Digital Natives, Digital Immigrants – Part 2: Do they REALLY think differently? Neuroscience says yes. Found at: http://www.marcprensky.com/writing/Prensky%20-%20Digital%20Natives,%20Digital%20Immigrants%20-%20Part2.pdf

Prensky, Marc. (2009). H. Sapiens Digital: From Digital Immigrants and Digital Natives to Digital Wisdom. Found at: http://www.innovateonline.info/pdf/vol5_issue3/H._Sapiens_Digital-__From_Digital_Immigrants_and_Digital_Natives_to_Digital_Wisdom.pdf

Prensky, Marc. (2009). Essential 21st Century Skills. Found at: http://www.marcprensky.com/writing/Prensky-Essential_21stCenturySkills.pdf

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts!