Saturday, February 20, 2010

Fitting the Pieces Together

In my very first discussion post I expressed: “In one respect or another, each philosophy and [learning] theory resonated with me and my experience as a learner. However, I relate most to Humanistic theory because I am motivated by the notion of self-actualization and fulfilling my potential; Cognitive theory because it provides critical mental constructs that lead to integrative learning, while including many of the fundamental behavioral concepts associated with creating environments that are conducive to learning. I also learn well through the Social and Situational theory because it enhances the learning experience through interaction. I think, ultimately, ‘participation in a community of practice’ further solidifies and expands my learning through observing others, sharing ideas, and even teaching others. (Smith, 1999). I realize that I have been ‘operating under the constraints of a limited theoretical background.’ (Ertmer, 1993) and I am a bit embarrassed to admit that, historically, I have relied on the ‘naïve theory’ of ‘intuitive understanding’ (Ormrod, 2009), thus far in my career as an instructional designer.”

When I began this journey, through the land of learning theory, I believed that cognitive theory was the central construct of my learning. I also knew that my motivation for learning and development was anchored in my Humanistic desire to find meaning, purpose and self-actualization. The Learning Theories and Instruction course has provided me with the knowledge I’ve needed to either confirm what I knew intuitively or the knowledge to correct my course.

Now, after many weeks of studying various learning theories, I still believe that there is validity and value in each of them. There is no one approach that singularly meets the complex needs of todays learner. One of the most important things I’ve realized is that the evolution of learning theory has woven itself into a web of connections that now culminates in learning networks. While internal, cognitive processes help me find meaning and construct knowledge, external sources and influences nurture and feed that learning process. Today, as a result of this enlightening journey, if I had to subscribe to a single learning theory, my answer would be Connectivism. It best describes and encompasses the way in which I learn.

As a digital immigrant, I am personally experiencing the powerful impact of technology on the way I learn. From how I gather information, the way I fill information gaps to create understanding, assimilate that information and build my knowledge, how I apply that knowledge to what I do every day, to how I share and exchange knowledge with others. In my self-directed search for information and knowledge I Google, bookmark great finds using Delicious, brainstorm and map out ideas using Webspiration, quickly access my Google Dashboard to share their impact using Google Blogger and to learn from others using my Google RSS feed. This list will continue to grow as technology weaves its way into almost every aspect of my life. Technology is at the center of modern life.

Another question and gap for me, prior to this class, was how we can meet the needs of the Millennials. Generational diversity is currently a challenge for my company and will become an even bigger focus as these digital natives enter the workforce. The days of flat, linear teaching, spoon feeding students content based on 30-50 year old curricula, will have to come to end. Self-directed, open, experiential learning will be embraced as more than just a “nice thing to do when you have the time”. One of the most impactful videos I watched was the story of Vicki Davis, a “teacherpreneur”, who has mastered use of technology in the classroom and whose teaching style should be a model for teaching this new generation of learners. She brought my level of excitement - about what is possible and how we can successfully meet this challenge - to an entirely new high. This is an exciting time to be an instructional designer. Technological change is coming fast. The question is, will educators be able to keep up and meet the emerging needs.

References

Ertmer,P.A. & Newby, T.J. (1993). Behaviorism, cognitivism, constructivism: Comparing critical features from an instructional design perspective. Performance Improvement Quarterly, 6(4), 50–71.

Ormrod, J. (2009). An Introduction to Learning. (video)

Ormrod, J., Schunk, D., & Gredler, M. (2009). Learning theories and instruction (Laureate custom edition). New York: Pearson.

Smith, M. K. (1999). Learning theory. The encyclopedia of informal education. Retrieved from http://www.infed.org/biblio/b-learn.htm

Edutopia: http://www.edutopia.org/  … Vicki Davis - Harness Your Students’ Digital Smarts … http://www.edutopia.org/digital-generation-teachers-vicki-davis-video  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts!