Sunday, February 7, 2010

Connectivism and My Learning

When I think back to my method of study during my under-grad program – almost 15 years ago – and look at my learning network today, the difference is astounding! “Back in the day” it was stacks of books, visits to the library and – if I was lucky – locating an occasional online article or research project accessed via the university’s online library. My cohorts and I would sometimes meet for study groups or we would partner up to support each other.

Today, as you can see by My Learning Network below, the internet has blown the availability of information and connections wide open! As a result, time and space no longer limit access to information and social interaction. Today, I experience a robust variety of resources and support. Besides my Walden University IDT program, this includes many online resources such as professional and other educational organizations that act as clearinghouses for information and social networking. ASTD is an important resource for training and development information. LinkedIn is a great professional networking site. Google alone has opened up the world, providing instant access to all kinds of information regarding technologies, concepts, theories and ideas. Google Blogger and RSS Reader allow participation and tracking of an open exchange of thoughts and ideas; allowing me to engage in conversation with other IDT and training professionals and scholars, if I choose to. Delicious provides bookmarking and easy organizing & access to favorite learning sites. But one thing that has not changed is my reliance on social interaction. My peers and colleagues are essential to my learning as we discuss ideas and share our professional learning experiences.

It is through the process of linking concepts and putting the pieces together – from all these various sources of input – that has exponentially expanded my thinking and my learning experience. My personal learning experience supports the central tenets of Connectivism in the following ways:

Principles of Connectivism

1. Learning and knowledge rests in diversity of opinions. Use of blogs, wiki’s, forums and discussion boards, and discussions with peers and colleagues, provide diversity of opinions and build my ability to analyze, synthesize and evaluate my learning.

2. Learning is a process of connecting specialized nodes or information sources. The knowledge received through my IDT program, the opportunity to apply it within the context of my work and the discussion that takes place around the learning – both in class and at work – greatly enhance and solidify my learning. Again, the internet allows me to research and fill the gaps that sometimes occur.

3. Learning may reside in non-human appliances. Most of my learning occurs through acquiring knowledge from my online degree program, online research, online communication and social networking tools and online work relationships.

4. Capacity to know more is more critical than what is currently known. My desire to learn and know more feels endless. Each piece of information that I receive builds on the last and the connections come from piecing together the wealth of knowledge and information that flows from all of my learning network resources.

5. Nurturing and maintaining connections is needed to facilitate continual learning. This is so very true for me. My work connections and the interactions shared in our IDT course discussions, and of course with my professors, are instrumental in applying and expanding my learning.

6. Ability to see connections between fields, ideas, and concepts is a core skill. This ongoing gathering of information, from so many resources… and the ability to access new and desired information so easily, as needed… continues to link pieces of information and put the puzzle pieces together to create deeper knowledge and understanding. The connections are at the center of it all.

7. Currency (accurate, up-to-date knowledge) is the intent of all connectivist learning activities. The self-directed approach to learning, used in the IDT program, creates learning that is current and individualized. Relying on current and accurate resources that provide valid information coupled with the dynamic discussion on topics provides a current, fresh learning experience.

8. Decision-making is itself a learning process. I have learned that for me to make good decisions I have to understand the key elements effecting the situation. This drives my desire to gather new “pieces” of information and to fill gaps in understanding. Finding a context and a place to plug in newly gathered pieces of information is at the center of my learning process.

Reference: see Principles of Connectivism at http://www.elearnspace.org/Articles/connectivism.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts!